Sunday, June 9, 2024

Dan + Shay: Their Multiple Talents

I have a lot of respect for Dan + Shay as artists because they both write the majority of their own songs along with their collaborators. I will do a separate post later about the handful of songs they did not write. Another thing that truly blows me away is that Dan produces all of their songs alongside Nashville producer Scott Hendricks. In my opinion, Dan along with Scott are two of the most refreshing producers in country music. I also think that Shay has the best vocals/vocal range. Dan provides the most beautiful background vocals and harmonies to match Shay’s outstanding, unique voice. 

When Dan + Shay get together with their fellow songwriters like Jessie Jo Dillon, Jordan Reynolds, Nicolle Galyon, and Jordan Minton to write songs, I can tell that they spend a lot of time pulling from their own experiences and making sure the songs are honest and real. 

They are best known for their positive songs, including those in the love and wedding categories like “Speechless” about seeing their respective wives on their wedding day for the first time and “From The Ground Up” about the love that their grandparents shared for 65 years and imagining what life would be like when they start their own families and beyond. 

While they write a lot of happy, positive songs, Dan + Shay have also have written songs about past heartbreak like “Tequila” and “I Should Probably Go To Bed”. When the main character in “Tequila” consumes the alcoholic beverage, it makes him think about all of the good times he had in his past relationship, but it also makes him want to get back together with her. The main character in “I Should Probably Go To Bed” is convinced by his friends to leave the house so he can get over his breakup. Then he finds out his ex is back in town and does not want to face her, so he decides to go to bed and turn off his phone. While Dan + Shay are happily married, they wanted to expand their songwriting to topics like heartbreak.

Now when it comes to producing, Dan along with Scott Hendricks (on most of their records) have produced all of their music since day one. Sometimes I listen to the songs and only focus on the producing. In my opinion, Dan and Scott are two of the most refreshing producers in country music. Their production skills have really evolved and gotten more intricate (in the best way) from their debut “Where It All Began” album to their latest “Bigger Houses album. Each of Dan + Shay’s songs has its own sound and the production does not sound like anybody else in the genre. Sometimes when I am listening to their music, I only focus on the production and it sincerely blows me away every time. While I love the production on all of their songs, the top three that come to mind are “Tequila”, “I Should Probably Go To Bed”, and “Save Me The Trouble” from their latest album. I can really tell that Dan and Scott put a lot of thought into every sound and instrument that goes onto a record and it all matches Shay’s vocals and Dan’s background vocals and harmonies perfectly. I am always in awe and so proud of all of the hard work Dan and Scott put into each and every one of their songs! 

Finally, I think that Shay has the strongest vocals as well as the most beautiful/unique voice in country music. He hits every note that he sings. Dan’s background vocals and harmonies are beautiful and unique too. He really complements Shay well in the duo. Dan + Shay sound amazing on their albums and on the radio and they sound exactly the same (in my opinion even better) live in concert. 

This award-winning country music duo has put out a lot of incredible music over the last 10 years and I know there is more to come in the next 10 years and beyond. More fantastic songwriting, vocals, producing, and beyond. They continue to show immense growth from one chapter to the next and I am so proud of how far Dan + Shay have come!

1 comment: