Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Stacy - A Big Country Music Fan: The Introduction

My love for country music started in middle school. The artists who caught my attention early on were Kenny Chesney and Rascal Flatts. Later on, I became a huge fan of Carrie Underwood the moment she auditioned for American Idol. The things that impressed me most about them is their unique voices  and their ability to tell a good story with their songs. Whether I can relate to their songs or not, I really appreciate hearing good songs with strong lyrics and good production that moves the story along.


One of the first Kenny Chesney songs I remember hearing was “I Go Back” when I was in seventh or eighth grade. The main character hears a song that takes him back to his high school and college years, with lines like “An’ I go back to the smell of an old gym floor The taste of salt on the Carolina shore After graduation and drinkin’ goodbye to friends” and “So I go back to a pew, preacher, and a choir, Singin’ ‘bout God, brimstone, and fire And the smell of Sunday chicken after church.” I am able to relate to the line about saying goodbye to friends after graduation as well as going to church with my family and then having a nice dinner together later in the afternoon. 

https://youtu.be/MdeSLxz5TTE?si=JY1yljfFytDGW5EE


I also remember “Bless The Broken Road” was one of the first Rascal Flatts songs I heard. With lyrics like  “I set out on a narrow way many years ago Hoping I would find true love along the broken road But I got lost a time or two Wiped my brown and kept pushing through I couldn’t see how every sign pointed straight to you” and the chorus “That every long lost dream led me to where you are Others who broke my heart, they were like Northern stars Pointing me on my way into your loving arms This much I know is true That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you (Yes, he did)”, I could picture the story being told in my head.

https://youtu.be/8-vZlrBYLSU?si=v6n7WC-FQbd0Rfr4


The moment that Carrie Underwood auditioned for American Idol with “I Can’t Make You Love Me”, I knew that she was going to win the show and become a big star. I voted multiple times for her every week until she eventually became the winner of the reality singing competition in 2005. I am still a big fan of her to this day; however in high school and college, I was head over heels for Carrie. I loved every song on each of her albums and would play them on repeat. One of the songs I put on repeat was “Cowboy Casanova”. I could not get enough of that song  from the moment it was released. With lyrics like “You better take it from me That boy is like a disease You’re runnin’ and tryin’ and tryin’ to hide And you’re wondering why you can’t get free” to the chorus “He’s a good time cowboy Casanova Leaning up against the record machine He looks like a cool drink of water But he’s candy-coated misery”, this song really paints a vivid picture of the warning given to the female that she should leave the romantic relationship. 

https://youtu.be/oM7NQQ0Lfu4?si=bfus0uaaq6XmShjD


Kenny, Rascal Flatts, and Carrie Underwood were my top three artists when I was first introduced to the country music genre. I will dive more into their careers as well as profile more of my top favorite artists as  my journey into the genre continued.


1 comment:

  1. Stacy, I love your writing. I think I will be learning a lot about country music and quickly.

    ReplyDelete